عنوان مقاله [English]
Background & objective: Today, the pollution caused by landfills is considered as one the serious environmental threats, including groundwater resources. The purpose of this research, the use of mathematical models and numerical with high precision in determining and explaining the current situation and relatively accurate predictions, to examine the groundwater pollution caused by leakage of leachate centers around landfill.
Materials & Methods: In this research, The MODFLOW, MODPATH and MT3DMS models was used to estimate the speed of movement of pollution, tracing path and simulate the process of transfer of leachate producedat San Angelo landfill site in the United States to the downstream drinking water well. Also Three scenarios of a) improved bedding of landfill bottom and reduced leachate penetration to 25%; b) Reducing the amount of extraction downstream drinking water well to 20%; c) landfill Movement as much as 100m to upstream were evaluated.
Results: The results of the modeling showed that in the current situation, the leachate produced landfill reaches the downstream well going through a distance of 608 meters in 2158 days. By applying three scenarios in the numerical model was seen that the leachate reaches to the downstream well by passing a distance of 613, 618, and 667 m in 4000, 3250 and 4000 days, respectively.
Conclusion: Therefore, in the field of locating the landfill and leakage of leachateto groundwater, numerical models can be used to predict the direction and speed of pollution movement and to make management decisions for reducing the time and distance of arriving the pollution at the groundwater.
10. Nakhaei M, Amiri V, Rezaei K, Moosaei F. An investigation of the potential environmental contamination from the leachate of Rasht waste disposal site in Iran. Bulletin of engineering geology and the environment, 2015; 74(1):233-246.
11. Baghvand A, Nasirzade R, Abdoli MA, Vosoogh A. Investigation of contamination of groundwater sources surrounding landfill sites, case study: Takestan city landfill site. Iranian Journal of Environmental Studies. 2016; 41(4):909-921. (Persian).
12. Alavi Dehkordi SK, Asadi lor M, Khodabakhshi A. Modeling of heavy metals transfer from waste landfill to groundwater table in Shahrekord using MT3DMS and GIS code. 2nd International Conference Geography Sciences. 2016 Nov. 1, Ardabil, Iran. (Persian).
13. Akbarpour A, Aghahoseinali M, Azizi, M. Managing groundwater exploitation of Mokhtaran plain using a finite difference mathematical model in GMS. 9th Iranian Hydraulic Conference. 2010 Nov. 9-11, Tehran, Iran. (Persian).
14. Anderson MP, Woessner WW. Applied Groundwater Modeling: Simulation of Flow and Advective Transport. Academic Press. ISBN-13: 978-0-12-059485-6; 1992.
15. Jokar Niyasar V. Study and estimating the amount of nitrate transfer from absorbent wells to groundwater level in Tehran. [Master's Degree Thesis]. Environmental engineering. Sharif University of Technology; 2002. (Persian).
16. Delkhahi B, Asadian F, Khodaei K. Comparison of the ability of calculated constant radius and numerical model in determining the protective area of drinking wells in the area of Yaftabad Tehran. Iranian Journal of Geology. 2013; 7(26):33-43. (Persian).
17. Delkhahi B, Khodaei K, Asadian F. Comparison of Delineation Methods for Wellhead Protection Area Case Study: Drinking Wells of Hamedan City. Journal of Iran-Water Resources Research. 2013; 9(2):41-27. (Persian).
18. Moslehi Baharanchi E, Safavi HR. Estimation of mechanical dispersion coefficients in uncertainty situations Case study: Kohkhpaee aquifer Segazi Isfahan. 5th National Congress on Civil Engineering. 2010 May 4-6, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, Iran. (Persian).
19. ITRC. Evaluvating, Optimizing or Ending Post-Closure Care at Municipal Solid Waste Landfills Based on Site Specific data Evaluvations. 2nd Ed ed. Washington, DC 2006.
20. Rotaru A, and Raileanu, P. Groundwater contamination from waste storage works. Journal of Environmental Engineering and Management. 2008; 7(6):731-735.